Monday, January 23, 2006

In A Land of Pineapple Tarts.

Chinese New Year is just round the corner (yayness!), and at this time of the year, I'd be camping at my Ah Ma's place, baking and baking.

Let me tell you a true story about my Ah Ma okay? This grandma of mine is suuuperb at cooking and making these kueh-s, snacks and desserts etc. When we were in primary school, we would usually have annual food fairs every year. These food fairs were meant for the school's fund raising project, so all the money earned from the fair would be donated to the school. Coincidentally, the food fairs were always a week or so before the lunar new year, so my Ah Ma would be preparing loads of these CNY goodies for the school and also for our family!

So, on every food fair, teachers never fail to swarm to our booth to order bottles, or rather gongs of pineapple tarts. I remember having to jot down how many containers of tarts which teachers want even before the food fair, then bring that piece of paper back home to tell my gramma about it. So, my Ah Ma would start preparing all the tarts for everyone. According to my grandma just today, she remembers having to do almost thousands of these little tarts every year. Gees! I wonder how much we could earn from that if we sell those tarts!

My grandma not only makes these pineapple tarts, she used to make love letters, kueh bulu, kueh bancake (the whitish sweet things) every CNY. Sigh, unfortunately, due to old age, my uncles and aunties don't allow her to do such hard work anymore.. SOOO...

Jessica Cheung to the rescue!!!!

OMG, that's super lame.

Anyway! Today I went to my grandma's place to make pineapple tarts from scratch! I've done it before, but being the forgetful one, I have to always refresh my mind every year. Since I was busy making the tarts, my hands were dirty, so I didn't quite take photos of the procedures of making the tarts. But! I still took some. Haha, enjoy!


kneading the dough! and no, that's not me. that's my ah ma's maid, minah, whose name isn't really minah. hahaha. oh well, LONG STORY. wanna hear tell me.


all done! but still uncooked.


time to get baked my lil' tarts..


in the oven you go.! you can also see my reflection.. haha. my fat legs.


the master of making pineapple tarts.. my ah ma!!! -claps hands!-

In order not to forget how to make these super delicious pineapple tarts, I recorded down the neccessary ingredients and procedures to follow! Yahooo! Wanna 偷师?(eh, are the chinese characters correct? sorry ah, chinese abit lousy now. lol.)


the recipe, written by yours truly.. hee.

Yup! My grandma is so enthusiastic until she decided to make more tomorrow! Haha! I'm in a land full of pineapple tarts.. I see loads of pineapple tarts around me...

Tomorrow's gonna be a great day! Gonna visit Ben @ SGH with lr. min and then meet joan and shuo after that! Life's great. (:

P.S. I would like to sincerely thank Benjamin Liu for being the dictionary for today's post. You're so very kind, sweetie.. Laugh at my English hoh?!?! You're gonna get it from me... -evil laugh-

1 comment:

nadia said...

haha. I made pineapple tarts too!!! man, it's fun! haha...enjoy your CNY!!! don't forget to drink lots and eat less, don't wanna fall sick yah! hehe.