Monday, February 20, 2006

I'll be a specky nerd for awhile.

I shall just copy and paste a newspaper article taken from TodayOnline.

CONTACT lens wearers ? take heed.

There has been a jump in the number of fungal eye infections related to contact lens use, with seven cases reported last month and three this past week alone.

Three patients, aged 20 to 43, have had to undergo urgent corneal transplants to save their sight. Since last May, 22 people have suffered from infections of the cornea, a transparent window covering the eye. The Singapore National Eye Centre (SNEC) has treated 19 of them.

.
.
.

According to the Ministry, all the patients used disposable soft lenses, and cleaned and stored with them in multi-purpose contact lens solution. All but one of them said they used eye health company Bausch and Lomb's (B&L) ReNu with MoistureLoc solution. The Health Sciences Authority (HSA) is investigating the product.

B&L said that despite the lack of conclusive scientific proof that the solution was responsible, it would suspend sales of the product indefinitely. Its chief medical officer will fly in from the United States on Monday to conduct the investigations with the HSA and SNEC. Contact Lens Practitioners board member Roland Izaac said he was "surprised" at the recent increase in such infections and was unsure of the cause.

"It could be because more people are using contact lenses. And people do abuse their lenses, as they would wear them for four or five years without bothering to clean them," said the eye doctor with 30 years' experience.

.
.
.

Haha. What the eye doctor said really makes me laugh. Not washing lenses for four or five years is madness! But, of course, the eye doctor would not lie about this kind of thing.




I will be a specky nerd for awhile because I am currently using this product for my soft contact lenses - Bausch & Lomb MoistureLoc contact lens solution. Mummy web cammed with me yesterday evening, and was showing me the newspaper article to me (The Straits Times), and questioning me if I was using that brand. Not only did it freak her out that I was using that particular brand, even I was shocked.

I think I've been using this brand of contact lens solution since I started wearing contact lenses, which makes it my 3rd year then. Honestly, I don't find anything wrong with the solution I am using now. But being kiasi (scared to die), I've decided to put my contact lenses away and be specky for awhile. Maybe a week. Maybe 4 days... Maybe... I will start wearing them tomorrow. You see, I haven't gone out with my spectacles for so long, and I definitely feel very weird wearing it in public. Also, people DON'T recognize me when I wear my glasses!!! Trust me, I look super different when I wear specs. Today, already 3 friends just walked past me without realising it was me. Funny, eh? But I'd rather think of wearing specs these few days as a time to relax my eyes and give them more OXYGEN.

BREATHE, MY EYES, BREATHE.

The statistics of people getting fungus in their eyes after using that solution really bothers me. Mum suggested I buy another brand before the whole controversy is solved. What about my 6 bottles of B&L contact lens solution lying between my drawer and the bed? Do I get refunded since those in SG are recalled back. 6 is not a small number okay.

Howww? What should I do...? ):

3 comments:

Qi said...

No choice man...throw it away la. Even if you can get back your money for the 6 boxes... when will that be? Probably by the time you come back the period of reimbursement would be over.

Be specky for once is cool! You would look like a cool nerd. Way to go specky! : D

Anonymous said...

Hi there,
My excitement grows as I read more of what you have here...
I'm a little embarrassed to say it but when was out looking for gas permeable contacts information I found your post and had to stop for a read. I sicerely appreciate you blog topic... I'm considering making a blog about gas permeable contacts and I should probably stop by here more often to watch how you do this great job.. I always love looking through other poeples blogs and reading the posts (especially yours!) I don't know if you like other blogs or want to check out mine, but I think you've done a quality job.

It's great to be here on your blog, thanks.

Anonymous said...

Hi there ##NAME##,
Just to give you a heads up, you're probably going to get some more comments on this post: ##TITLE##. I found you when I was out looking for night and day contacts product info, and even though this doesn't relate to night and day contacts, I still had to stop and tell you that you're doing a great job. You're about to get some visits from my brother and sister. I told them about your blog so I hope you don't mind.