Saturday, February 18, 2006

I want to be a hero!!

I just got back from my first day of Red Cross First Aid Training. Guess what? I almost slept several times during the lesson!!! I woke up at freaking 7am (okay, I snoozed till 720am) and the class finished at 5pm!!!

I mean, the class itself IS interesting (CPR, bleeding, poisoning is cool), but I had too little sleep, NO caffeine today, and listening to the same person talk for almost 8 hours is so not fun. And clever me sat right in front of the teacher, so if I did sleep, she would spot me right away! So time crawled slowly... Slowly... Every hour... Every minute.. Every second...

However, I've come to realise that first aid is so important! The instructor was telling us that at least one person in a household must know first aid. :D Obviously, I would be the 1st one in my household to learn first aid. Proud of myself. WHAHA. But then!!!! CPR is not my thing man.

Okay, CPR for children and infants is easy peasy. As long as those mannequin squeak and make some sound, you know you're doing the right thing. HOWEVER, I just cannot give an adult mannequin the correct chest compression! No matter how much I exert force to the chest, it just doesn't squeak!!! ): It only squeaked on my first attempt, which isn't at all a perfect one either. Boooo. I need to eat more so I get more strength to break the rib cage of an adult! MUAHAHA. Yes, I'm obviously joking.

CPR for infants is so CUTE and simple! You know, for an adult mannequin, I gotta use all my might to make it squeak? But for infants, I only require 2 fingers to gently push its chest before it starts squeaking. EASY. And cute! Whahaha! Those mannequin even have names! One infant's called Lucy, and the instructor's favourite mannequin is called George. Lol.

I think I've learnt quite abit today, and I hope I can remember all that I've learnt! I'm gonna have the same thing tomorrow (8 hours !!!!!!) till 5pm. I need this first aid certificate because it's a requirement for my course. It is very interesting and useful. I'm actually quite happy that I did join this training session. When someone's in danger, I can help! I think Singapore should also have these kind of courses for teenagers to attend, because in my point of view, first aid is important. If an accident occurs, help is just there. Don't have to wait for the ambulance to come, cos' it may even be too late for the patient, or the injured party.


Okay, that's it. Gonna have dinner now. Toodles.

2 comments:

J. Dudley Frogwhistle said...

Good luck!

(and please try to stay awake during the important bits...)

jessicA* said...

(: Thank you! The first aid course summed up today and I must say I totally enjoyed my time.