Friday, March 02, 2007

Childhood head injury.

This week passed so uber quickly I can't believe it's almost Saturday!! Hurrah for me. (:

I actually feel quite old now, seeing all the health science first year kids (I shouldn't be calling them that but it's better than if I call them babies) and med 2 juniors. Those days are OVER for mee. And now? Med 3 lor! And I'm loving (okay, not loving, but maybe... liking?) the timetable this year (or rather for now), cos we're actually NOT very busy, and the Brain & Behaviour module is quite interesting, except the memorising portion. Grr. The brain is such a complex organ in the body! It does so many different things, and its structure is already so amazingly complicated larh!

We had a lecture on childhood head injury this morning, and I inevitably thought about myself.

Me in the middle, with my mummy and Janice (who stole my pink dollie!)

When I was about that young (probably 3 y.o or so), I was with my cousins at my uncle's room doing the usuals - jumping on the beds, going crazy and everything larh. Then, I noticed there was a cute little robot on my uncle's shelf! I told my cousins about it and we all wanted to get it down. Before I go any further, I should show you how the shelf actually looks like.

Okay, I know my drawing sucks, but as you can see, that shelf is actually more like a shelf-cum-table kinda shelf (HAHA). So the 4 of us - Ning, Wei, Tuck and I took turns to try and grab the robot from the shelf. I was the last one to try, and come to think of it, I was kinda dumb then, because all my older cousins couldn't reach it, why would I even think that I could actually triumph and have the robot all to myself? That's really dumb, but aiyah, I was a KID.


The shelf was a little unstable when we stepped onto the table to try and reach for the robot. My 3 older cousins gave up, but I was determined to get it down. So I climbed onto the table, tiptoed as much as I could with my 2 arms stretched out as far as they could. Then, before I could even react, the shelf was so unstable it was shaking. I heard my cousins yelling at me to go back to them, but it was too late. The shelf fell forward and I was brought down by it too. The next thing I realised it was dark. I was trapped under the shelf and couldn't move at all. By then, my cousins were frantically screaming for my grandmother to save me. I can remember so clearly that I was crying really hard and I didn't know what to do. I didn't feel any pain, but I could see dark, fresh blood oozing out of my head.

I heard my Ah Ma's voice almost immediately after my accident. With the help of our domestic helper, they managed to get the shelf up and my grandmother carried me in her arms and rushed down the stairs to get me to the hospital. Fortunately, her friend whom she was chatting with before, was a taxi driver, so he took the 2 of us to the hospital. I remembered myself in Ah Ma's arms, trying to tell her what exactly happened. But I couldn't form sentences. I was crying and taking short breaths, and my head was still oozing out alot of blood. I can still recall myself thinking as if I was acting in a drama, because in dramas, people around the patient will always be crying (my Ah Ma was), person in pain/dying unable to speak properly and will stumble over their words, and then will die on the spot. The Jessica then thought it was the end of her life, that she was going to leave her grandma, her cousins, and everything she ever experienced in her childhood. I wanted to tell her about the robot and didn't mean to be naughty again.

Click on the photo to see the circled naughty kids as mentioned above. HAHA.

Suddenly, I saw bright lights. People in masks were surrounding me, and I was on a cold, hard bed, with a few pieces of blue paper sheets placed underneath my head. Ah Ma was missing! I heard people talking but couldn't understand, except for one, and it went something like, "Oh no, the sheet's filled with blood again. Quick, carry her up and put another sheet under her head".

Somehow, after the operation, I just forgot about everything, and the doctor said I could go home! It seemed to me as if I didn't stay at the hospital overnight, but could it be possible? I remember there was quite alot of blood lost from me, and considering my skull still mobile and soft at certain areas, how come this trauma didn't seem too big a deal to the doctors? What kind of pathologic trauma did I encounter? Was there any in the first place? Maybe I forgot my stay at the hospital, and I can't ask my Ah Ma about it either, because I think she's forgotten about it too. She only remembers me being ultra naughty and she always calls me 'mor tang', Hokkien word for worm/caterpillar. HAHA. Squirms around like a worm and can never sit still.

I can never ever forget about this particular accident (trust me, you don't know how many times I visited the doctor when I was younger), because the trauma has left me with a dent on the right side of my parietal bone (bone of the skull). So if you were to ask me to shave my head bald like Britney Spears, you're in for a scare man. Imagine someone with a dent in her head. EEEEEEEEW! Hahaha. But I don't care, because in this way, if I ever lose my memory, my family will recognize me cos of this dent. HAHAHA. What a lame excuse. Nevertheless, I had a great childhood, and maybe if I hadn't had that injury, I'd be even smarter!!! Or maybe not. Lawls.

Alright, time for bed. This weekend's gonna be really busy for me.. OSC and church stuff bombarding my calendar of events! (: Hope all of you like my true story. HAHA. Enjoy your weekend!

Not the nicest photo of all, but it shows my current hair style! Crap, fringe too thin, need to modify my bangs abit. And my purplish highlights have officially turned RED despite my colour therapy solutions! Is that sad or sad? HAHA. And shucks, I think my face is getting bigger everyday. ARHHHHHHHHHHHH!

OUT!

No comments: