Wednesday, October 15, 2008

As light as a feather.

Quotes from some patients I saw this week:

"I'm scared of putting on weight."




"I'm fat."


"My weight? I'm 44kgs now." (BMI=15.3)


"Dr. X says I need to get my BMI up to 21.0, but I don't think I'll be able to. I've never been that heavy all my life."


"Yes, I purge. Everyday."



"I cycle, swim, gym, dance, run everyday. About 2 hours a day?"


"I like being skinny."



"I can't have any children, which is what I really regret."

Seeing real people suffering from eating disorders is still unbelievable for me.

Yes, they're THAT skinny, they're REALLY afraid of putting on weight, they restrict their meals to the EXTREME, they PURGE every single day, they're most keen to vacuum the carpets, clean the handrails of stairs, go for 2 hours walks instead of half hour, and yes, they have LOTS of physical problems including hiatus hernia, vitamin deficiency, osteoporosis, amenorrhoea (no menstruation), infertility, anaemia, some electrolyte imbalance, depression, suicide intentions etc.

I'm astounded.

If these people are in treatment because their eating disorder and them being too skinny, how about models and celebrities? Don't they need to do something about themselves too...? Aren't they merely anorexics on the loose? They're harming themselves...





*ASTOUNDED*

No comments: